Saturday, April 12, 2014

No one hears like my Dad

So I go down to the Chase bank (a terrible company, one that should be fined out of existence for their malfeasance in lending and repossessing during the last depression). Had a tire go out. Got to the bank, then decided I'd call my dad to come down and pick me (and the tire) up so we could go to a store for a new tire.

Three hours later I'm still in the parking lot. My dad is orbiting the area, trying to 1) find the right Publix supermarket used for a landmark or 2) forgetting what he was in the car for. We exchange several phone calls, but it is pointless since he can't hear, and can not understand words spoken through the cell phone he has. So many calls, just to try and tell him its 4 MILES SOUTH he has to go. That's it. Over and over and over and over. Eventually my phone is going dead, and I tell him to go home and he says ok (which he says to everything when he doesn't understand what you are saying, or hear you). I call a cab. While waiting for the cab, he shows up in the parking lot.

Pulled the tire, went and got a new, and I'm off and running after another hour, but at least I'm in control.

The hearing aid issue and his cell phone is going to end up killing him one day, and he won't give it to someone else to relay the message. Lesson learned. I will call a cab first next time I'm stranded a few miles from home. Fuck it.

Now I really need a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment